Sunday 22 December 2013

Santa comes to Shush (warning - Apple product enthusiasm)

In the midst of the Christmas craziness I got a little distracted and decided to get myself a Christmas treat.  There is no doubt that I went a little overboard.  This was prompted by the most extreme of first world problems - my iPad was a bit big and heavy for my handbag.  I know, right?  The things I suffer through on a daily basis.

Anyway, as any good quilter should, once I unpacked my new pressie to myself, I figured I had better make a cover for it.

So I present to you my first ever scrap project proper.  One iPad mini cover ...

From the front, including a cute little Riley Blake button.

I used some bits and pieces from my scrap bin, and some left over binding from my first super simple baby quilt.

From the back.  Hello kitty!

There is even a snippet of Henry Fish.

Some little orange blossom for the lining.

The project took me two hours from start to finish and would be a great and quick little gift.  The only change I would make for next time is that I would use two layers of batting, to make it more protective.  I made a block 6.5" x 20" and quilted it with the lining on the other side.  I quilted with simple lines 1/2" apart.  Once quilted, I machine bound one short end, and then folded it up and bound the other three sides, as pictured.  I even remembered to sew the toggle on (a hair tie stolen from Princess) before the binding.  Well done me!

Do I recommend the iPad mini over its big brother?  Hell yeah.  It's about two thirds the screen size, heaps lighter, and slimmer.  *love*

The best part of all this?  I have finally got some sewing time in.  Happiness ensues.

Merry Christmas my quilty friends.  It has been a privilege and an honour to meet you all this year!

4 comments:

hydeeannsews said...

oh, good for you. =) was the sewing time the present or the mini? ha, ha. I love that there's a bit of henry on the back! the binding is very cute, too. it's not very lawyer-ish looking, but it'll start many a conversation about quilting and sewing. very nice make, liz!

Leonie said...

Whoohoo! it's a very pretty cover Liz - i'd be happy with cover and innards alike! Merry Christmas to you too and happy sewing!

Paula said...

Gorgeous. Both the cover and the present! Enjoy.I have these very thin felxible plastic sheet chopping boards that I have recycle to use in projects like these. They are pretty easy to stitch through in a quilt sandwich so I often use them in addition to the batting to add extra protective structure to such projects.
Happy Christmas to you too.

Glinda ♥ said...

Love it! But aren't we supposed to wait until Christmas Day to open our presents :)
Merry Christmas, Liz and I look forward to seeing what you get up to in 2014 :)