Wednesday 4 September 2013

Oh Deer returns *gasp*

I bet you thought you were never going to hear about this quilt again, right?!  I certainly didn't think you would.  Having got about half the blocks done I had decided that it was officially the worst quilt I had ever tried to make and gave up on it.  The wedding that it was intended for came and went.  We all realised that I am *rubbish* at quilting to deadlines.

Deerly beloved, we are gathered here today ...

But look - all of sudden last week I thought I might sew up a few of the blocks.  And then a few more.  And then they were done.  Just like that.  This is not one of those quilts that you can pre-cut all your blocks (if you muddled up your pieces it would be a disaster).  But I set up a little production line doing 10 at a time, and it was no problem.  And it's not the sewing that takes the time, it's the cutting.  Yuck yuck yuck.  I need me one of those swirly whirly cutting mats (technical term).

Here is my little production line in action.

First we sew this way ...

And then we sew that way ...

And then we have 80 finished blocks and we have a virtual champagne.  Mmmmmm.

There was a bit of a tantrum when this happened.

Conveniently, that slice was 1/4" wide, so I couldn't even hide it in the seam allowance. Grrrrr.

80 blocks later, here is the design wall where I tried to figure out block placement and Princess decided I needed some help.  Yikes.  Hubby and I managed to sort it out after her bedtime though - it was like putting a puzzle together without all the right pieces.  We got there in the end though.

And we'll put this piece here Mummy, and this piece here.  Me: *deeeeeep breath* Thank you, darling.

I cannot tell you how pleased I am this is done.  BQF has declared it a triumph (I paraphrase) and I have reached the giddy heights of not hating it - which I think is enough for now.  But I do love the backing fabric (which inspired the quilt) - so if the happy couple don't like the hard earned front, they should at least like the back!

And I bet it will look even better after an iron. Fabric - Oh Deer by Momo for Moda.

So I just need some fabric to frame up the backing (it needs 10" on each side) and then it will be basting time.  For once, I'm looking forward to it.  Don't come over all faint at hearing that.

If you ever want to make your own (and I do like the pattern, I just don't think this was quite the right fabric for it) then it is a perfect layer cake quilt - one patterned and one plain layer cake will give you exactly the right amount of fabric for 80 blocks.  You quarter both layer cakes into 5" charms and then use two patterned and two plain charms per block.  The instructions to sew and cut are on my tutorials page. My only difference from the tutorial was to cut my block 1.5" from the centre, not 1".  I preferred the sightly chunkier design it created.  The finished quilt will be 64" x 80" or thereabouts.

Hopefully it won't be another three months before you see it finished!

Welcome visitors from WIP Wednesday, Show n Tell Thursday and Needle and Thread Thursday (links on my linky page).  Don't forget to come and find me on Instagram - I need some more friends there!




18 comments:

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

woo hoo!! It looks great Liz! I know it feels great to get that all done, especially since you weren't so enamored with it. I think it looks fab!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Wooohoo! I am impressed by your effort to power through and get it done, even if you weren't loving it initially! I think it turned out beautifully!

Steffi´s Candy Quilts said...

That looks like a lot of cutting, but it was worth it. The quilt looks great! And I love that backing fabric!

Megan said...

It looks great! I like the dark and light contrast of it. I can also see that all that cutting would stretch anyone's patience so good on you for finishing. High five!

Julia Graber said...

I like this quilt. It has a fresh clean look. Way to go with finishing it up. Keep going!

hydeeannsews said...

it looks completely different put together than I expected from the blocks - that lattice type pattern made by the whites surprised me! it is totally a triumph! a virtual champagne cheers on finally getting together. =)

so what's next?!

Sewing Mom said...

It's really beautiful! I'm sure you are excited to see it coming together. Great job.

Glinda ♥ said...

Get you - #1 at Freshly Pieced today! Love this quilt ... can you please stop making such lovely things, I want to make what you're making now :)

Leonie said...

Haha little helpers are so "helpful" arent they :) it looks great - yay for finishing! you're on the home straight now! love love the backing :)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I think it is a lovely quilt. Love the colors, and the white lattice.

jan said...

Oh Deer, I think it looks terrific. I am working on a quilt I hate at the moment. Ugh! But I am digging in and not quitting but maybe I should find some fabric for the back that I love :) Yay for having yours almost finished.
xo jan@sewandsowfarm

CHD said...

I love your quilt. And, I really love your backing fabric. It is lovely. Cx

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

I think this looks fantastic! And I agree, the backing fabric is perfect.
Amanda

~Diana said...

Call this a love/hate quilt. I love this desgin though!

I just finished one for a wedding (late) as well...500 blocks, mostly HST...sigh...get 'er done and move on to the next!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous and I love this pattern. I like it all mixed up with light and dark patterned fabrics. THe back is awesome too!! Love it.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

just love this, Liz! Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

audrey said...

Wow! This is incredible! Love love love! I have some Oh Deer that I've been waiting to use. This certainly has me thinking! :)

MellieWo said...

Love it! I'm doing an Oh Deer! Trips Around the World. I think it's a great line and I too have some of that white deer print for a back. Hopefully you'll post when you finish it ;)