Thursday 25 July 2013

Grapefruit overload

Hey quilty peeps. We've been very busy looking after the wee man this week after his operation. He is doing very well, and still has a smile on his face after all he's been through. He's such a good little chap. 

As a result, there has been very little spare time to do anything, although I did manage to make a small dent in our grapefruit crop. We have an overloaded tree. When we moved into our place three years ago, we discovered a very sad and neglected grapefruit tree at the end of the garden. I think we got about four little grapefruit that first year. We have since chopped some nearby trees to give it some light and given it some citrus food. It turns out that was just the thing. We must have the best part of 80 grapefruit, and that's after the tui have had a scoff. 

And the silly thing is, I don't like grapefruit!  Fortunately Mother is a fan, so I have some whiskey marmalade on the go for her (ummm, surprise mum!). I used an Annabel Langbein recipe last year. Mother assured me it is tasty although I substituted brandy for whiskey - hubby is not keen on his expensive whiskey going into cooking!  Fair call. 

Here are my 2k of grapefruit all beautifully sliced thanks to my kitchenaid food processor. Do I love my food processor?  Oh yeah. It could only be improved by being raspberry ice to match Barbarella. However beggars can't be choosers, so black it is. Tomorrow this lot can be cooked up into marmalade. 



There's nothing wrong with citrus sour cream cake either. I have no idea where that slice went. No idea. 



If you want to try it out, whisk together 125gm softened butter, 1c sugar and the zest of half a grapefruit until light and fluffy. Beat in 3 eggs, one at a time. Sift together 1c of flour and 1tsp baking powder. Fold flour gently into the batter, alternating with 1/2c sour cream. Place in a greased 20cm round cake tin. Bake at 160 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes or until baked through. Place on a rack to cool. 

For a crunchy top, sprinkle generously with castor sugar while still warm and squeeze grapefruit juice over. Serve with yoghurt or whipped cream. 

Mmmmmmmm. 


5 comments:

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Hope your little one recovers quickly!

I'm impressed that you were able to come up with ideas for that much grapefruit. I wouldn't have the slightest!!

hydeeannsews said...

When our grapefruit comes ripe again, I'll be trying that cake! But I'll have to find a different marmalade recipe sans whiskey! Can't have the toddlers tipsy. :) Great idea, though. We always eat all the ora blanca variety but don't do as well on the ruby red tree crop. Want to hop over and help me after Christmas?

hydeeannsews said...

When our grapefruit comes ripe again, I'll be trying that cake! But I'll have to find a different marmalade recipe sans whiskey! Can't have the toddlers tipsy. :) Great idea, though. We always eat all the ora blanca variety but don't do as well on the ruby red tree crop. Want to hop over and help me after Christmas?

Leonie said...

Definitely trying this! Sounds yum! by the way... if you're not working on Friday we're having a bloggy coffee with bloggers from over Auckland in the morning. Will be happy to give you the deets if you're keen/able :)

Julie said...

I have been making grapefruit curd with the surplus I have been given.

Check out this post on my blog for the link:

http://justjulielou.blogspot.co.nz/2013/07/weekending_14.html