Sunday 3 February 2013

First up

Hello everyone. This is my first ever blog. I have been inspired to start putting down my quilting journey (as a beginner quilter) by my long suffering friends who are not remotely interested in quilting and who are sick of hearing about layer cakes and the relative merits of cotton and bamboo batting ( I haven't used the latter yet, I'd be interested in your thoughts!).

I'm only onto my third quilting project at the moment, although I have several more on the go. I cannot believe how much I have learned already - mainly due to the extremely generous people in blog land and on YouTube. But I DO have Piles. And. Piles of fabric already. How does that happen? NB: Spotlight sale currently on - $6 per m discontinued fabrics. Insane.

So I starting a year ago, bullied into quilting by a friend who was keen to try. I got one small cot quilt and 2/3rds of a single bed top done before I got pregnant with number 2. It turns out morning sickness and quilting do not mix. But since Christmas I've finished the second top and basted, quilted and bound that treasure, and moved onto another top, which is also ready for basting. The quilting disease seems to be firmly entrenched!

Here is the current top: Moda Cherish Nature jelly roll quilt top - pattern from Pam Lintott's Jelly Roll Quilts - Pandora's Box. But I added a little extra sashing, because it turns out I like white. A lot. I have some baby blue spots for the back and sashing, to lighten it up. The jelly roll was bought online and was not the full range of fabrics- so a lot darker than I thought. That's what you get for buying online specials and not reading the small print!

Talk soon!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Welcome to blogland, Liz! Looks like you are off to a great start!

Liz said...

Thanks for stopping by and saying Hi!. I have been admiring your beautiful quilts for some time now.